Every instrument has its own rules to play and none of them are easy. It is often seen that flutist find it hard to play piccolo, but it is because of lack of guidance from the instructor. However, you really don’t have to worry because you just need some tips to be a pro at it.
Piccolos are like small flutes with higher octave. They are usually discordant and noisy instruments due to its small size. So, at first you have to learn the instrument better. Music teachers should provide proper guidance for learning this small yet interesting instrument.
At first you have to learn that piccolos are a different kind of instrument and are not like flute. You can’t expect same kind of rules for playing a piccolo because it is smaller in size and also has smaller holes, so you need to be very careful as you might tend to play it same if you’re a flutist.
Schmitt Music is an online shopping site that offers piccolos, flutes and saxophones at affordable rates. They also offer the best Burkart Piccolo that you won’t find anywhere else over the internet.
Some of the tips for you to transform yourself into a piccoloist are mentioned as below:
1. You have to be in an open posture that will allow breathing and help the air to flow. Close postures won’t let you to breathe properly while playing.
2. To control the noisiness of the piccolo you should use proper sound and air to pass through.
3. Make sure you can see inside the hole of your piccolo in the mirror.
4. Make proper use of the lip. Everyone has different kinds of lip shape so try and place the piccolo high on your lower lip. Make sure that your lips don’t cover the holes of your piccolo.
5. Since piccolos are smaller in size so it needs small movements of your fingers unlike with flute.
6. You can use timbre to play your piccolo. Its okay to play your piccolo on high note, however wearing an ear plug will always help you while practicing.
7. Proper articulation is necessary while playing a piccolo. You don’t have to play it short, play it longer but make sure you don’t make it sound rough.
8. Take help of a tuner to practice pitch tendencies.
9. Don’t hesitate to play the piccolo at a higher range. Piccolos are meant to be played on high ranges but not on rough notes.
10. Practice regularly even if you don’t need to spend many hours on it, play every day.
You don’t have to spend hours after playing a piccolo, practice for a smaller period but spend some quality time playing it. Playing soft and slow only makes you develop bad habits that won’t help in improving your play.
Piccolos can be hard to play. However, practice makes a man perfect. So, if you practice it properly with the above-mentioned tips, it will surely help you in improving your skills to play a piccolo.